Sunday, June 2, 2013

Morning Lessons




Orange day lilies snuggled next to white African lilies. Clumps of white and mauve periwinkles jiggled. Purple lilies of the Nile waved in the breeze.

Twin lizards raced up and down the patio screen. A turtle head broke the water and looked at the lake. From the bald cypress a bird whistled.

A frisky squirrel scampered down the oak, across the grass, and onto the patio near my chair. I jumped. He glared. Apparently, I was in his favorite chair. I clapped and he ran to the edge of the porch. He took two steps toward me and then two back. When I refused to leave, he retreated and disappeared.

A series of loud quacks caught my attention. A white duck furiously propelled himself against the wind to the far shore. He joined a red headed muskovy.   Both of them tipped forward bracing against the strong wind. If the wind had stopped, they would have fallen face first into the dark water. 

Suspended above the lake, a blue heron huddled on a bare limb. His head disappeared into his wings making him look like a feeble old man. His compressed body  appeared much different than when he majestically flew above the water or when he strolled the shore for food. He lifted his head and bellowed with a commanding but grating noise. 

Larger waves tumbled over the lake. Leaves rustled, and limbs shook. I watched and listened for God’s teaching in the serenity.

From the heron I learned to take time to rest and retreat from problems. The squirrel taught me that when something obstructs your plan, look for another way.
The ducks showed me that when life is hard, put your head forward and keep pushing. The gorgeous flowers reminded me to stop and enjoy the beauty of life. 

For months, I have faced continuous and difficult trials, but with God providing for me, I have endured. I am so thankful for the hundreds of prayers, cards, hugs, food, emails ... God has used all of you whether you knew it or not. 

For a couple of weeks after my dad’s death, mother rallied and was stronger than she had been in months. She went from the wheelchair to the walker and was determined to get better. However, for the last week, her strength has waned, and she had spent more time in bed. A horrible, annoying cough has caused her to weaken and return to the wheelchair. Continue to pray for her and the rest of the family as we deal with losing a husband and dad. 

Yaweh Touri, the Rock, thank you for being our rock through many trials. Thank you for using your creation to teach us. Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment