Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Joy in the Gloom





Mist swirled over the lake like a troupe of ballerinas. Raindrops dimpled the water. A slate sky shut out the sun like a forbidding door. 

In my small oak tree, a female cardinal perched briefly. Cold damaged grass exchanged brilliant green for dismal brown. Once vibrant plants along the shore looked a forlorn yellowish brown. Despite the gloom and chill of the morning, I felt peace and joy.

Wrapped in my fuzzy robe and a warm blanket, I enjoyed the show. Tiny birds hopped on bare branches. Rain pattered on the roof. Birds chirped. 

Dancing clouds on the lake twirled in all directions. Running and jumping with exuberance. Though I couldn’t catch them, I knew they were real. 

Their performance reminded me of Alan. No longer can I grasp his hand or embrace him in a loving hug. But his spirit lives on. His legacy of kindness, service, and love continues in all who knew him. 

In heaven, his new body is free of pulmonary fibrosis and he can move easily. 

Like the song “I Can Only Imagine”, I don’t know exactly what he is doing or who he is seeing. But I know he is rejoicing with Jesus. That gives me peace and comfort.

“God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.” Then He who sat on the throne said, “Behold I make all things new.”
Revelation 21: 4-5 NKJV


Lord, thank you for giving comfort to those of us who are left behind. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment