Monday, March 10, 2014

Black and White to Color


And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8: 28 NIV

A gauzy shawl wrapped itself around the lake. A spotlight of sun turned on and off. Against the gray sky, barren cypress limbs reached skyward. An abandoned nest nestled on a high branch next to tiny songbird silhouettes. 

On the lake, a long line of black cormorants drifted. Faint, dark trees stood as sentries on the far shore. The unusual black and white picture mirrored my mood.

Every exposed limb, branch, and imperfection enthralled me. Nothing was hidden. Though colorless, there was a simple beauty to the starkness. 

Like the bare cypress, Alan’s death exposed my raw emotions of pain, sadness, and loneliness. Nothing could be hidden or disguised. Color left my life. 

However, without a covering of leaves, the trees remain sturdy and upright. They appear dead but soon buds will sprout and new leaves will grow. Foliage will cover the limbs and create a haven for birds. Each season serves a purpose in the tree’s life. 

Even though I would rather skip the painful, exposed parts, this season’s difficulties strengthen me and help me grow. Hopefully, I can use lessons from my pain to comfort others and be ready for the next more colorful season.


Loving Father, comfort your children in their times of distress. Give hope for easier seasons. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment