Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Comfort During the Storms



Even though surrounded by people at the reunion, loneliness took me captive. I struggled. Constant reminders mocked my loss. Alan no longer enjoyed the bountiful buffet of delicious food. He was not sitting by me nor getting me a lemonade. There were fewer jokes and smiles to make me laugh. Animated conversations surrounded me,  but I felt detached. 

Tears came. Arms enfolded me. Kind words encouraged me. Others missed him too. All afternoon tears occasionally seeped out.

Exhaustion touched every cell of my body. But sleep eluded me. I prayed. I thought of happy times. Nothing helped. 

In the quiet of night, I wept. Grief overtook me. Instead of my normal short bout of crying, tears flowed and flowed and flowed. I longed to escape the intense pain. 

Thunder rumbled faintly and  then boomed. Rain pattered on the roof before a deluge hit. Covers formed a cocoon around me. Strangely, when the storm came, I felt relaxed and at peace in the dark room. 

God has not taken the storms of my life away. But He constantly gives me peace, strength, and comfort during them.

Hear my cry, O God, attend to my prayer. From the end of the earth I will cry to You, when my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been a shelter for me, a strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in your tabernacle forever; I will trust in the shadow of Your wings. Psalm 61: 1-4 NIV


Dear Lord, thank you for your unending love, protection, and peace. When you don’t take my pain, guide me though it. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment