Thursday, March 12, 2015

A Broken Cup



O Lord my God, I called to you for help and you healed me. Psalm 30: 2 NIV

            Crash! I couldn’t stop the accident but watched as in slow motion. Shards of glass littered my tile floor. I tiptoed through the debris to clean up the mess.

            As I sorrowed over the loss of a favorite mug, I noticed a large object at my feet. Instead of a cracked or fractured cup, I discovered an intact one. The glass on the floor came from the crushed handle.

            With the handleless mug in my hands, I marveled at its strength and resilience. Not a chip or crack marred its surface. A bump revealed the spot where a handle had been attached.

            With the cup over the trash can, I stopped and placed it back on the counter. Even though the handle was missing, I couldn’t throw it away. That mug reminded me of my journey through grief.

            In the last two years, I have felt shattered and broken because of the deaths of my dad, mother, and husband. Though parts of my life were split off like the handle of my cup, God kept me together. He gave me peace and strength even when I felt completely broken. He didn’t allow me to be destroyed even in the pain and sadness.


Lord, thank you for healing broken hearts and lives. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment