Monday, March 23, 2015

Spring Emerges



Let the morning bring my word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life. Psalm 143:8 NIV

            For a few minutes, a glowing pink and blue sky captivated me. Its vibrant colors reflected on the dark lake. 

            An annoying holler marred my peace. With feathers spread like a perfect Thanksgiving picture, the tom turkey’s boisterous yells proclaimed his presence.

            We stared at each other through the screen. Then he paraded from my house to my neighbor’s and back. Two females ignored his signals as they lowered their heads to eat from the ground.

            A flurry of tiny birds swept to the bare cypress trees along the shore. Their bodies formed silhouettes against the awakening sky.

            A fiery ball peeked through the trees and illuminated the yellow, pink, and purple flowers that had survived the winter. Buds of orchids and Easter lilies prepared to open. Teeny wisps of green clothed naked boughs.

            Touches of spring brought hope and encouragement. A reprieve from winter’s darkness and despair.

            The spring of grief brings glimmers of hope and encouragement too. A time of adjusting to a new life. Less intense sadness and optimism for the future. Not forgetting the past but moving on to opportunities to grow. Live again. See what God has planned.

            Grief, like spring, includes days that seem like winter. Gloom and sadness return but don’t linger.

Loving Father, thank you for carrying me through the pain of winter. Lead me into the season of spring. Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment