Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Grief in the Garden

        

            As a deterrent for crime and rebellion, ancient Romans placed crucifixion crosses near main highways to remind their subjects of Rome’s power. Masses of residents and travelers passed by as Jesus hung in agony. A rocky skull watched His crucifixion.

            Etched into the towering rock, the skull’s black eyes peered at the people, cars, and busses of modern Jerusalem too. Just as in Jesus’ day, travelers and residents swarmed the city. The clamor of voices, horns, and engines marred my serenity.

            While meditating, I contrasted the uproar outside the walls with the peace inside the area of the Garden Tomb. I looked up and saw the skull staring my way.

            Paths wound through trees and flowers. Hidden benches invited visitors to pause and contemplate. A pocket of serenity in the turbulent city touched my grieving heart.

            On each pilgrimage to Israel, Alan and I relished our visits to the garden. It was a time to sing, pray, remember, and partake of communion with our group.

            Stone steps led down to the tomb. The low opening beckoned me to bend down and step inside. Carved into the rock were two small rooms. I stared at the bare, stone ledge. In my mind I saw His battered, bloody body. Lifeless. Cold.

            In the dimness of dawn, Jesus’s followers peered into the empty cave too. The women, Peter, and John searched for His body in the vacant cave where I stood.

         Just as they did so long ago, I also experienced puzzlement, uncertainty, and astonishment followed by joy.

            I longed to linger in the tomb. Remember His sacrifice. But lines of pilgrims waited. They traveled from around the world to see the tomb. Everyone looked inside. He wasn’t there.

            The garden offered peace from the chaos of the world. Its stillness enveloped me in my grief like it did years ago on a previous trip.

             When I learned of my aunt’s unexpected death during our trip, I went to the garden. While sitting on a secluded bench, I grieved her loss. I felt God’s presence in the tranquility. Nestled in areas of the garden, groups from around the world worshiped. Familiar music in many languages comforted me.

            On my latest trip, I grieved again for Alan and my parents. Though I hoped staying there would ensure my peace, I knew Jesus didn’t remain in the dark tomb or in the calmness of the garden. Neither would I.

            He rejoined His followers outside the garden. He empowered them with the Holy Spirit, gave them directions, and returned to His Father.

            Before our group got on the bus, my friend, Susie, joined me. Along with a few tears, I scattered part of Alan among the flowers in one of his favorite spots. A part of my grief was left in the garden with his ashes. The Holy Spirit was enabling me to move on too.


Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you: As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.”
And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit.”
John 20: 21-23 NIV


Father, thank you for being with me in the tomb, in the garden, and in the struggles of my life. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment