Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Time at the Garden of Gethsemane



They went to a place called Gethsemane, and Jesus said to his disciples, Sit here while I pray. He took Peter, James, and John along with him, and he began to be deeply distressed and troubled. My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death, he said to them. Stay here and keep watch.

Going a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him. Abba, Father, he said, everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.Mark 14: 32-36 NIV


            After the treacherous descent from the top of the hill, our tour group filed into the Garden of Gethsemane. We followed the sidewalk outside the fence which enclosed gnarled, two thousand year old olive trees. Their ancient limbs could have sheltered Jesus and His disciples during their times in the Garden.

            My grief journey took me to the place where Jesus felt sorrow and anguish the night He was betrayed. I volunteered to read the Scripture to our group about that night. It seemed appropriate for me to read about His sorrow and remember His suffering.

            Inside the dim church, I knelt near the rock where tradition says Jesus prayed. Iron thorns formed a crown around the dark rock. My hands clutched the thorns as I prayed. Tears flowed.

            I felt Jesus’ pain mingled with my own. Mine, though intense, didn’ t compare with His agony.

            In that silent, sorrowful place, the Holy Spirit comforted and strengthened me. My grief didn’t disappear but lessened. Jesus’ acceptance of His Father’s will helped me accept the losses of Alan, mother, and dad.

            Jesus faced His cup of sorrow. I had to face mine and accept a different life without those I loved. Suffering wasn’t removed but God remained with me.


Loving Father, thank you for walking with me and sharing in my grief. Amen  

No comments:

Post a Comment