Thursday, November 26, 2015

Tearful Thanksgiving

                                  

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18 NKJV

            Piles of slick advertisements laid on the counter. Each one urged shoppers to shop instead of spending time with family and friends. Many will overspend to buy things for those left at home.

            My wants are not in any colorful catalogue. I wish empty chairs could be filled with those who have left us. I thought this year would be easier but tears continue to flow, stop and start again.

            Shelves of family pictures, computer images scrolling across my screen and memories remind me of those who no longer celebrate with us.

            Beautiful weather beckoned me outside. A bike ride through my neighborhood and fresh air made me feel better for a while. Seeing couples walking together brought more tears, but I continued riding.

            When I turned to go home, I saw it. A partial but bright rainbow glistened against white clouds.  There was no evidence of rain but God’s rainbow lightened my sadness. He promised to be with me even in the darkest times.

            Giving thanks in everything seems impossible but isn’t. I am thankful for all that I have and have had. I am trying to concentrate on what remains.

            For millions of people what I have left is much more than they could ever imagine. A loving family. Many friends. Abundant food. Good health. Comfortable home. Peaceful country. Freedom. Knowing Jesus.

            Writing about my blessings helped to focus on my blessings and not my losses.

            I pray you all have a good Thanksgiving no matter the circumstances. I especially pray for those who also have empty chairs at the table.


Father, thank you for the blessings and promises you give to us. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment