Thursday, September 28, 2017

A Marred Image



For You will light my lamp; The Lord my God will enlighten my darkness.
(Psalm 18:28 NKJV)

            Because of shortened fall days, darkness welcomed me when I stepped onto my patio. With a small light, I studied the Bible and read my daily devotionals.

            In the quietness before dawn, leaves rustled. A hidden bird chirped. Blackness concealed the lake.

            Bit by bit, light intensified and broke through. Across the lake, a blushing sky appeared with the dawn. Overhead, an expanse of azure brightened my morning with an expectation of a sparkling lake.

            But a very different picture emerged. Blobs of algae marred the surface of the water and destroyed the image in my imagination. Instead of a glittering lake, I saw a mottled mess.

            Other sights added to the gloominess. A brown limb, broken by Hurricane Irma, dangled from one of the cypress trees. Dead stems covered plants near my porch. Clumps of decaying grass remained from the previous week’s mowing. The dismal scene looked much different from the usual cheery one.

            However, when I stared at the forlorn picture, sunlight blazed between the pine trees and formed a path across the lake. Tiny clouds danced above the water in the stream of light. Dew sparkled on the grass and orange flowers. A spider web glistened. Small touches of beauty transformed the setting into something lovely.

            Often, anticipation doesn’t match reality. A choice is made to focus on what is marred or appreciate surprises of hope and encouragement within the messes of life.

Creator, help me see and embrace the gifts of hope and encouragement even in the trials of life. Amen

            

No comments:

Post a Comment