Friday, September 8, 2017

The Approaching Storm



For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. (2 Timothy 1:7 NIV)

            A full moon illuminated my lawn when I stepped into the predawn blackness to retrieve my newspaper. In awe, I stared at the luminous moon, twinkling constellations, and glowing planets. The serenity of the sky contrasted sharply with images of massive hurricane Irma charging through the islands and on to Florida and states further north.

            With mandatory evacuations in South Florida and others trying to flee the state, bumper to bumper traffic stretched from the Keys to the northern border. Airports filled as travelers tried to make flights before airports closed. Canceled flights brought more stress for harried residents and tourists.

            People spent hours and hours waiting to purchase water, batteries, generators and gasoline. Retailers watched shelves empty within minutes. Truckers delivered goods constantly with little rest. The highway patrol kept gas lines moving at stations along the turnpike.

            For years, overactive newscasters and meteorologists predicted numerous and strong hurricanes. Most of the time it never happened. People became complacent. But after the recent disaster from Harvey and visuals of a massive Irma, people listened.

            Preparations began early. Constant coverage informed but also frightened as updates often changed directions of the approaching storm.

            From the Florida Keys, low lying regions, coastal areas, and mobile homes, residents were told to leave.
            Governor Scott said, “Things can be replaced. Families can’t be put back together. No one will be able to rescue those who remain behind to ride out the storm.”      Thankfully, most are in the process of leaving.

            As I prepare my house, questions come. Will my house be flooded? Will the roof hold? Will streets be cleared for me to return home from Chris and Anne’s? Will my windows break? Will a tree fall on my house? Will we take a direct hit?

            During my morning devotions on the patio, I stared at the sky over the lake. In the midst of uncertainty and turmoil around me, God provided a place of peace. Above the dark forest, a border of dazzling sunlight highlighted bluish clouds. Seconds later, the sun emerged and lit up the entire lake.

            The unexpected display reminded me that God is near even in our storms. While I can make preparations to protect myself and my home, only God is in control.

            Please pray for those who have already been impacted by the storm and for those of us who wait. Pray for safety and compassion as we all face an unknown outcome. Pray that God will be seen clearly.


Dear Lord, thank you for reminding us of your nearness even in the storms. You can stop the winds or change the path. Even if you don’t, give us strength to face them. Amen  

No comments:

Post a Comment