Thursday, September 21, 2017

Thankfulness After Hurricane Irma



“I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41:10 NIV)

            In my area of Central Florida, life’s returning to normal after Hurricane Irma. Towering piles of tree debris line now open roads. In some neighborhoods, dangling wires remain but power has been restored in most areas.

            A few days earlier when I drove down the interstate, convoys of power trucks joined normal traffic in both directions. Tears pricked my eyes as I saw license plates from Kentucky and Maryland. Others were too far away to see their states.

            While driving through a neighborhood, power company trucks lined a narrow street. Workers directed traffic, searched for problems, and perched high above the street as they repaired wires. My thankfulness for their tiring work increased as I neared them. Tears blurred my eyes as I read “Dallas, Texas” on the side of their trucks.

            After their state suffered horrible effects from Hurricane Harvey, those men traveled to Florida to assist us. I could hardly mumble my thanks to one of the workers without breaking down in tears.

            As Floridians endured time without AC, TV, phones, and internet, thousands of utility workers, first responders, insurance adjusters, garbage men, tree trimmers, electricians, and countless others slaved in the wind, rain, and heat to do their jobs.

            Every time I see them in person or on the news, I think of the sacrifices they have made. Not only do they face dangerous situations, but they are fatigued like the rest of us. However, they are also away from their families and homes. Some for long stretches of time.

            Thousands of workers display the true spirit of America. Our diverse country always comes together in a crisis. Pray for the strength, safety, and peace of all affected by the storms, fires, and earthquakes here at home and in other areas.


Heavenly Father, we don’t know why so many tragedies are striking the world right now but we know You can make something good out of it. Help us to be thankful and patient as we recover. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment