Saturday, March 24, 2018

No Shoes and No Feet

                                  

            As I walked across the church foyer, I began limping. When I looked behind me, a trail of black showed my route. What happened?

            While standing like a flamingo, I pulled off one shoe. A gaping hole replaced the heel. A large piece of black rubber on the pristine floor. In shock, I realized the mess that marred the foyer came from me.

            How would I be able to stand as a volunteer greeter for the special service with a broken shoe?

            I hobbled to the information desk and relayed my pathetic story. The lady called the church’s man of all trades. Soon he appeared and assessed my damaged shoe.

            “Glue won’t help,” he said.

            “Could you tape it?” I asked.

            “That’s what I was thinking,” he said.
           
            With one shoe on and walking on my bare toes to keep my body more upright, I nonchalantly waddled into the volunteers’ meeting room with my friend.

            We stood in line for our dinner and laughed to ourselves. When we sat down, I told other diners at our table about my shoe problem.

            Minutes later, my shoe repairer reappeared with my shoe. Black duct tape encircled the entire back of my shoe. I showed his handiwork to my friends and put it on.

            After eating, we received instructions and assignments for the night. When I stood to join my group, something didn’t feel right. I looked down. A pile of black surrounded my chair. The sole of the toe on the taped shoe dangled. With trepidation, I took off the second shoe and saw black powder fall from it.

            To prevent making more messes, I took off both shoes and started for the door to find my special repairman. Thankfully, he wasn’t far away. When I held the pair of shoes in front of him, he smiled.

            “I wondered if the other part would go too,” he said and took my shoes.

            In my group of volunteers, I tried to get an app for my phone to help with scanning tickets. Nothing worked but my mind was only halfway on the task while I stood in bare feet in the lobby.

            Another volunteer in a wheelchair offered me her sandals, but they were three sizes too small. We laughed as I waited.

            Time was getting close for our jobs to begin. While my shoes were missing, I pondered my options. I could hide and refuse to help out. Wear too short shoes. Go barefooted and risk embarrassment and having my toes squashed by the hundreds of people entering the doors.

            When my shoe man returned, I thanked him profusely for the unusual task. His kindness and servant’s heart touched me. Even with unique shoes, I would be able to serve too.

            Bits of upturned tape clung to my feet. But with a few adjustments, they worked.

            When I thought of our speaker for the night, I knew I would not be embarrassed to serve our community even if it was without shoes.

            Nick Vujicic, who was born without arms or legs, inspires millions with his story. He appeals to young and old as he shares the Good News of Jesus all over the world.

            How appropriate that my shoes disintegrated just before he was to speak. He has one tiny foot with two small toes which are used as fingers. That bare foot reminded me of mine. He has adapted to his condition and overcame depression. God uses him daily.

            Perhaps my story with the falling apart shoes will inspire others to accept what happens to us and go on. To not let inconveniences become monumental obstacles. God takes us through all sorts of situations and joins us there.

            At one time, the shoe problem would have stressed me so that I would have tried to find a store and buy new ones. Perhaps, I would have declined helping. However, I really didn’t care and thought the situation was funny. A perfect story.

            The last few years of my life have given me a new perspective on what is truly important. Patience comes from trials. I might just keep my shoes as a special reminder.

Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance, and perseverance character, and character hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us. (Romans 5: 1-5 NKJV)


Gracious Father, your love is poured out on us even in our trials. Continue to build perseverance, character and hope in us. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment