Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Holding Tight




At the peak of a bare cypress tree, a great white egret clung tightly to the branch and scanned the lake. His slender neck formed an S as his eyes traveled back and forth. Without even swaying, his spindly legs held him firmly. 

            I stared in amazement at his inspiring feat. Behind him, a pink sunrise turned into a blanket of gray. Despite the change around him, he remained stoic and focused. 

            As I watched him, I thought of the anxiety and fear in the world because of the coronavirus. Facts and opinions screaming at everyone. Overwhelming uncertainty. 

            Each morning in my serene, lakeside retreat, I spend time with God. Reading the Bible, daily devotionals, and prayer prepare me for the events of the day. 

            Watching wildlife slows me down and reminds me of my blessings. God created beautiful flowers, unique animals and awesome sunrises. Animals teach lessons in survival, focus and doing what they were made to do in each situation. 

            For a few minutes, the smallish, white bird rested. Then he lifted his vast wings and took flight. His perching and flying bodies looked quite different. The time of rest prepared him for his impressive flight.
            As we hear disturbing news and predictions, it is important to retreat and let God provide peace and strength for the journey ahead. 

You have been my constant helper; therefore, I sing for joy under the protection of Your wings. My soul clings to you; your right hand reaches down and holds me up. 
(Psalm 63: 7-8 The Voice) 

Loving Father, in our unsettled world, provide peace. Give us hope and strength for the days ahead. Amen

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos and post! Thank you for the encouragement to rest in Him. We are blessed. He is helping us all if we just rest in Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I keep praying that people will see God in all of this.

      Delete