Friday, April 3, 2020

Is it True? Is it Kind? Is it Helpful?



As I hear and read numerous words during this horrendous time, I am reminded of words I heard long ago. Is it true? Is it kind? Is it helpful?

            Isolation, loss of jobs, sickness and uncertainty cause fear, frustration and anger. Changes occur daily. Unforeseen situations come often. No one has experience in dealing with such a pandemic.  

            Workers on the front lines face unfathomable circumstances the rest of us cannot imagine. Frustration of not saving patients, having limited supplies, exposing themselves and their families to the virus causes constant stress. 

            Leaders from local, state and our nation deal tirelessly as they try to make timely and appropriate decisions. Each one is attempting to make the best ruling with the facts known at a specific time. However, day by day and hour by hour, situations change. 

            Like armchair coaches watching their favorite games and giving unsolicited advice, many Americans feel they know better than the leaders. 

            Of course, many of the decisions can be controversial and perhaps not the best when looking back. However, no one wants more people to be sick and die. No one wants the economy to plummet. Problems occur. But I think they are all trying to do what is best with what they know at the time which is why there are reversals.  

            Instead of criticizing and berating, wouldn’t it be better to band together? Refrain from condemning. Encourage those who are making hard decisions and those on the front lines. Reach out to family and friends near and far. We are all in this together and can’t escape it. 

            Before posting, try to see if it is true which can be difficult. Is it kind? Will it be helpful? 

            As I was growing up, my parents would say, “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.”

            If we all did that, our world would be much quieter. Social media would be less busy. 

            For me, prayer is an important part of my day. Reading the Bible gives me peace and strength to get through. Listening to sermons, devotions and music keeps me from focusing on the dire news. 

            We will get through this and being united will make the process easier. 

I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. (Psalm 34: 4 NIV)

Dear Lord, give us peace and strength as we deal with impossible situations. Bring us together as families, communities, states, our nation and the world. We aren’t in control but You are. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment