Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Strange Bird

I peered out the window, opaque from condensation. Cool morning air had caused me to remain inside instead of sitting at my favorite place on the patio. My view of the scenery was limited, but I spotted a large bird at the edge of the lake.
His stark white body and long, spindly legs reminded me of a graceful great white egret. That was where the similarity ended. His pencil like black legs ended with bright orange feet. Black edged tail feathers gave the impression that he was dingy and dirty. His small head looked like the wrong one had been affixed to his body. A bizarre black and white mottled face gave him an even more peculiar look. A long, curved dark beak overpowered his tiny head and made him look top heavy. The odd, mismatched appearance of the wood stork was perplexing.
I watched his antics as he thrust his tiny head into the dark water. Using his thin beak, he snatched a fish and stepped toward the shore as he finished his meal. Only then did I recognize that his dark legs and spattered face had camouflaged him in the dark lake. The seemingly mismatched body parts were actually carefully assembled for his habitat and livelihood. Even though it seemed very strange to me, God had a special plan in creating the atypical bird.
Likewise, each person has unique abilities and skills which may not initially appear to be relevant or significant. However, God has a purpose in creating every individual instead of making clones. As we accept and utilize our specific gifts, we can use them to benefit ourselves and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment