Monday, December 26, 2011

A More Merciful Response

Snarled Christmas traffic surrounded us. Impatient drivers showed little evidence of the Christmas spirit as my granddaughters and I drove to our house. The agitated drivers reminded them of a recent incident.

“When a man pulled out in front of daddy, he honked. The man raised his fist,” Ashlyn said.

While we discussed proper responses to poor drivers, a soft voice came from the backseat.

In a quiet voice, Emily stated, “I prayed for him. Mean people have something wrong with them so I prayed for him.”

Reinforcing her response, I answered. “Yes, people who are mean might be sad. Something might have happened to them and they take it out on other people. It’s good to pray for them.”

Emily’s five year old wisdom stopped me. How many times have I been annoyed when someone cut me off in traffic, pushed ahead in line, or said an unkind word? Did I want to retaliate or pray for them?

My young granddaughters continue to amaze me, lift me up, and strengthen my faith. God bless the children.

No comments:

Post a Comment