Saturday, August 17, 2013

Keep Moving On




Another step. Today Alan and I sign the papers to close on our present home. Next week, the buyers finalize their part of the transaction. With all of the bumps in the process, we won’t feel finished until that is done.

The past year has been a series of trials, setbacks, and heartache combined with victories from the mountain top to the valley and back up.  Trudging up the slippery slope, one step at a time, I would rise and slide backwards. Unsure of my footing, progress was often excruciatingly slow. Then sunshine dried the trail, clouds disappeared, and I climbed higher for a magnificent view. 

Just as I felt confident about the climb, a thunderstorm or blizzard overtook me. Ground was lost--again. But through the wind, rain, or snow, a cave offered refuge where I sat and rested. Safe and protected. 

Renewed and hopeful, the journey resumed. The struggles seemed less for a while. The top of the mountain was still elusive and shrouded in clouds. I wondered if it was even there. Some days the summit seemed unattainable and a useless goal.

However, during the constant struggles, my perspective changed. Aiming for the peak each day became overwhelming. I learned to look for small victories and teeny blessings at each level. Every step took me above the depths. Some days I could breathe fresh mountain air, explore plateaus, and run in the flowers. 

At other times, fallen logs, scratchy limbs, and exposed roots bruised and battered me but also kept me from tumbling over cliffs. Though painful, they helped in unexpected ways.

With every step, God walked with alongside. He offered strength, direction, rest, and hope. When I could barely move, he gently lifted me. He stood as a shield to protect. He also served as a beacon and place of refuge in the storms. 

Looking back, I am amazed at the progress. Peering ahead, the trip seems too difficult. Examining what is near, I am thrilled with the possibilities. I am thankful for God being with me and giving hope for an uncertain future.

Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; for He will never let the righteous fall. Psalm 55:22 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment