Monday, December 21, 2015

Beauty from the Darkness



“The God who spoke light into existence, saying, ‘Let light shine from the darkness,’ is the very One who sets our hearts ablaze to shed light on the knowledge of God’s glory revealed in the face of Jesus, the Anointed One.” 2 Corinthians 4: 6 The Voice

            Narrow stripes of pink swept across a barely blue sky. Black trees stood like sentinels. The Artist’s brushstroke switched to bold lines of rose across the expansive sky. The pink and blue painting formed a magnificent panorama of sky above a mirrored lake.

            I studied the marvelous sunrise from my patio and was overwhelmed by God’s creation. But the picture faded before my eyes as I longed for it to remain.

            As the sky’s brilliance paled, white, whispy clouds replaced pink ones. Trees and flowers emerged. Bird songs floated through the morning breezes. Gentle waves rippled the lake.

            I wanted to remain surrounded by the beauty of God’s sunrise. To ignore the pain and ugliness of life which was hidden before dawn.

            Then I realized the gift God had given to me. From the blackness of night, beauty unfolded. Life isn’t all splendor and loveliness. But neither is it all pain and trials.

            If I had not ventured out into the blackness before dawn, I would not have seen the transformation and heavenliness of the rising sun. Likewise, if I stay hidden in my grief, I won’t experience the amazing, but sometimes brief, encounters with God around me.

            He is in the powerful, exquisite sunrises just as He is in the difficult times of darkness. 


Creator, thank you for the times of darkness so we can appreciate the periods of gorgeous light and know that You are with us in all of it.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment