Saturday, April 30, 2016

A Feathery Example



And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him. (Colossians 3: 17 NKJV)

            Three unexpected guests meandered onto my lawn. Even when I stepped outside to photograph them, they ignored me.

            A pair of stately sandhill cranes sheltered their furry, brown offspring between them. They stabbed long beaks into the grass to find breakfast. The little one stared at one parent and then the other. Finally, he imitated their actions with his shorter beak.

            The adults moved down the shoreline out of sight. Instead of following them, the baby wandered to the lake. He waded into the water plants and almost disappeared in the foliage.

            I listened for a reprimand or a quick return. But the parents remained out of sight. After a few minutes, the drifter crept back up the bank and found his parents.

            The trio returned to my yard and continued to my neighbor’s. Occasionally, heads popped up and eyes scanned the area to be sure they were safe. They calmly ate with their offspring learning to eat by watching them.

            The birds showed me what Christians are to do as we follow Jesus.  Demonstrate his love so that we can be more like Him. Gently teach by example.

            Alan frequently said, “We never know who is watching. We influence a lot of people.”

            We need to be sure that we are a positive example with our lives.

Father, thank you for continually teaching me with your creation. Help me to be a good example in the way I live. Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment