Wednesday, March 1, 2017

What Are You Giving Up For Lent?



Watch what God does and then you do it, like children who learn proper behavior from their parents. Mostly, what God does is love you. Keep company with Him and learn a life of love. (Ephesians 5: 1-2 The Message)

            During Lent, the forty days before Easter, many churches encourage people to give up something. It is a period to repent and spend more time with God. Avoiding sweets or fasting from all food is one option. Turning off the television or the Internet is another popular idea.

            I didn’t grow up with this tradition nor has it usually been a part of what I do as an adult.  However, as I thought about Lent this year, I decided I would participate.

            Instead of relinquishing more traditional things like certain foods, I decided to give up undesirable actions or behaviors. For instance, letting go of gossip, anger, unforgiveness, criticism, judgmental attitude… Replace those actions with compassion and love. Think of others first. Love like Jesus.

            He loved the displaced, rejected, and unruly. His eyes went beyond the outward appearance to the heart. His love and compassion changed lives.

            Being like Jesus won’t be easy when someone cuts me off in traffic. When a young man begs at the intersection, I will pray for him instead of judging his actions. Perhaps give him a bag of small items and Scriptures. When someone jumps in front of me in line, I can smile instead of frowning. The endless list of opportunities will keep me busy.

            Does anyone want to join me? Let me know what you are giving up for Lent.

           

Dear Lord, help me give up behaviors that separate me from you. Show me how to show your love. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment