Monday, May 29, 2017

The Long Wait



“Those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up with wings like eagles. They shall run and not be weary. They shall walk and not faint.”
(Isaiah 40:31 NKJV)

            For three years, I waited for lavender blooms on my crepe myrtle. The first spring green leaves sprouted on bare limbs. I searched for buds when other trees flowered. Anticipated beauty. Nothing.

            Because the tree grew taller and stronger, I hoped for a beautiful display of color the second year. Once again, no blooms appeared on the tree near my patio.

            As the third spring approached, green leaves covered long branches. Within weeks, lilac flowers finally festooned my tree.

            Before producing a colorful display, the tree had to grow tall and strong. Though disappointing for me, the wait produced a beautiful gift.

            We wonder why God doesn’t end our pain. Why He allows problems to continue. During those unbearable seasons, He may be giving us time to grow, become stronger, and flourish.

            Because of my slow journey of pain and grief, I understand the heartache of loss. I see distress in soulful eyes. From my own time of trials, my story offers comfort and hope to those who endure their own pain.


Loving Father, you give us strength to go on and not give up. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment