Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Joining the Lonely



For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared before that we would walk in them. (Ephesians 2:10 WEB)

            The list for the monthly potluck dinner in my neighborhood included only one other single. Did I want to go with so many couples? I hesitated but then added my name.

            A number of unfamiliar faces greeted me when I entered the room for dinner. Thankfully, I noticed a couple I knew and walked to their table. All seats had been taken.

            People claimed seats at most of the tables. At the far end of the long room, one couple sat alone. With my drink in hand, I maneuvered to them.

            “May I join you?” I asked.

            They smiled and said, “Yes.”

            As we exchanged names, a lady sat beside me. Another couple asked to sit with us. We learned that all were newcomers except for me. We talked for a while and I discovered the lady beside me was a recent widow who had come alone too.

            On the way to the clubhouse that evening, a radio pastor said to look for the lonely and hurting. His words directed me to join a couple sitting by themselves and allowed me to make new friends.

            Because of my journey of grief, I understood loneliness. I was thankful I stepped out of my comfort zone to welcome and encourage my tablemates.

            God directed my steps and thankfully, I followed His plan.


Heavenly Father, help me to listen and obey when you guide me to do something that isn’t easy. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment