Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Blessings Even in Darkness


For what we preach is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ. But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.

2 Corinthians 4: 5-7 (NIV)

Rain slapped the roof of my patio. Wind churned the lake and whipped the trees. Thunder rumbled. What welcome sounds after months of barely a drizzle. I didn’t mind a storm as long as rain accompanied it. 

            My view had included brown grass, droopy flowers and lower lake level so I longed for refreshing.  

            In the predawn darkness, I only heard the crescendo and decrescendo of the rain. Thunder grew louder and closer. But thankfulness filled me as the showers increased. 

            Even though blackness blocked seeing the rain, I knew the lawn, trees and flowers devoured the life-giving gift. 

            Dawn would bring reality to my vision. The lake level would be up. Dust and pollen would be washed away. Leaves would sparkle in the sunshine. Limp blooms would wave. My garden would be cleansed and invigorated.  

            Even in the darkness, rain restores and exhilarates. 

            In the same way, we often don’t see God working but observe the results. 

            A friend’s recent scan revealed no cancer even though a previous one showed multiple tumors. Peace overtakes anxiety in difficult situations. Kindness appears in the midst of grief. A prodigal child calls home. A family is reunited. The list could go on and on as we remember. 

            Just as I am thankful for the revitalizing rain, I am thankful for the blessings God brings, especially during our dark times.    

Loving Father, thank you for the times you work in our lives in unseen but amazing ways. Help us look for you and share how you bless us. 

Amen

            

            

            

            

No comments:

Post a Comment