Saturday, June 8, 2024

Seeing Clearly


Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature[ God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature[of a servant, being made in human likeness.

Philippians 2:1-7 (NIV)

White dotted mounds of green glitter in the sunshine. Gleaming insects flitter above the lake. White spots on slender stems wave in the breeze near the water. Masses of emerald on tall trees quiver with the wind. 

            Nothing in my view toward the lake is clear. Since cataract surgery, my distance eye’s clarity declined. Only glasses bring far away objects into focus. 

Since I remembered my crystal-clear sight after LASIK several years ago, I assumed the outcome would be the same. Unfortunately, that did not happen. Eye drops and glasses help but do not solve the problem. Of course, I long to see better but am learning to adapt.

            As I look out toward my lovely view, I know I am not seeing its actual beauty but only a blurry image. 

            What else have I missed? Do I observe the pain and hurt in eyes around me? Do I discern who could use a hug or word of encouragement? Do I neglect to share with people who are searching for Jesus? Do I pass by someone when I should stop to check on them? None of these would improve with eyeglasses. 

            Perhaps busyness, selfishness or lack of confidence cloud my field of vision and distract me from what God wants me to do. 

            When I pray for God’s direction, the eyes of my heart can see more clearly with love and compassion. 

Father, help me to truly see and care of those I come in contact with including those I know and those I meet briefly. Guide me to follow your will.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment