Sunday, August 14, 2011

A Distorted View



Psalm 32:8 “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with my eye.” (NKJ)

In the distance, purple spots wiggle in the breeze. Gray blotches dangle from the oak tree. Trees across the lake blend into a huge mass of green. On the bank, a light colored object reflects in the mirrored lake. Its image is as blurry as the original. My sanctuary is like an unfocused movie.
Without contacts or glasses, my distant world looks blurry and uninviting. But within my near world, I can easily read and write. My cup of tea, potted plant, and chair are clear and focused. When my gaze remains close, I am happy and content. I block out the lake, garden, and opposite shore. My tiny world encircles me.
Glasses produce a different view. Distinct trees border the lake. Lovely flowers adorn my garden. A blue heron wades in the shallows. Another world opens.
In addition to the beauty, I see algae floating on the still water. A dead tree languishes in the forest. Weeds crowd my flower beds. Dying herbs grow weary of intense heat. Unruly branches beg for a trim. My glasses expose both beauty and ugliness.
It is tempting to refuse glasses, ignore the world and retreat from unpleasant, horrific situations. However, many opportunities would be missed. Countless situations can be improved or corrected when people work to solve the problems. All can’t be solved, but we can make a difference to someone.
To a child with no school supplies, a filled backpack signals a new start. To a lonely widow, an invitation to dinner lifts the spirit. To a homeless man, a sandwich with a smile, offers hope. To a family with a vigil at the hospital, a meal provides comfort. To a mother worried about a child, a listening ear gives release. To a rebellious teen, a hug begins healing.
Each time someone is assisted, many benefit as the web expands. The world shines and beauty is revealed.

Father, show me clearly the people whose struggles and pain I can help relieve. Help me accept that I can’t change the whole world. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment