Saturday, August 20, 2011

A Little Boy's Lunch



As a child, I heard the story over and over. A little boy gave his lunch to Jesus who multiplied it for thousands of hungry people.
While on the Sea of Galilee a few years ago, I saw the grassy hills where Jesus preached. In my mind, I could see groups of people sitting in circles. They talked and ate until they were full. Each bite a miracle from the lunch of a little boy. Jesus prayed, and the food multiplied.
Recently when I read the Bible reference for my daily devotional, one sentence stood out. Never had I noticed it so clearly. Mark 6: 37 “...You give them something to eat.” Wasn’t that Jesus’ job? He, not a little boy, performed miracles.
I underlined the sentence. It spoke to me. I pondered its meaning for a few minutes. Feel compassion and pray but don’t stop there. Do something even if it seems insignificant.
Then I read the devotional that went with the verses. I almost jumped out of my chair. The author wrote, “You give them something to eat.” His commentary matched my own thoughts exactly.
The coincidence was unbelievable. God was definitely speaking to me. Of all the parts of that story, the author and I picked out the same verse. God wanted me to hear it again.
When people say they don’t hear God, I realize that often we don’t listen very well. Many times I have read a Scripture and then heard it right away at church, on the radio, or saw it in my readings. One way God speaks is through the Bible.
More thoughts came to me from the verses. The disciples were told to give the people something to eat. Of course, it was impossible for them to feed thousands, but they took the first step. Jesus made it happen.
I can’t fix every pressing situation that I see, but I can take a step. He performs miracles and wants me to join Him. He might want me to continue working with Him like he did with the disciples. He handed the food to them to distribute. What did they do with the food that was left over? Did it feed more people? How far did they go with that one step that began a journey?

Mark 6: 36-44 “When his disciples thought this had gone on long enough-it was quite late in the day-they interrupted, ‘ We are a long way out in the country, and it’s very late. Pronounce a benediction and send these folks off so they can get some supper.’
Jesus said, ‘You do it. Fix supper for them.’
They replied, ‘Are you serious? You want us to go spend a fortune for their supper?’
But He was quite serious. ‘How many loaves of bread do you have? Take an inventory.’
That didn’t take long. ‘Five,’ they said, ‘plus two fish.’
Jesus got them all to sit down in groups of fifty or a hundred--they looked like a patchwork quilt of wildflowers spread out on the green grass! He took the five loaves and two fish, lifted his face to heaven in prayer, blessed, broke, and gave the bread to the disciples, and the disciples in turn gave it to the people. He did the same with the fish. They all ate their fill. The disciples gathered twelve baskets of leftovers. More than five thousand were at the supper. (MSG)

Dear Lord, give me discernment and wisdom to know what steps to take and in which situations. Guide me in your plan. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment