Monday, August 22, 2011

Imperfect Forest



Psalm 139: For you created my inmost being, you knit me together in my mother’s womb, I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.


A forest of trees border the lake. Overhanging limbs caress the water. Towering pines graze the powder blue sky. Bald cypress, pine, myrtle, oak, and citrus cluster like friends at a party.
There is a quiet delight and serenity with the trees as my neighbors. Limbs block harsh sun and offer shade. Branches, trunks, and leaves provide protection, food, and homes for countless wildlife. Together the trees are strong as roots and limbs clasp hands.
When I glance at the whole picture, I see gorgeous, rustic beauty. However, a study of the individual trees gives a totally different perspective.
Across the lake, dead fronds mar a graceful palm. Surrounded by healthy green trees, a bare skeleton detracts. A young pine struggles through adolescence with one side bushy and full while the other is thin and scraggly. An oak, brimming with foliage at the top, in the middle looks like a puzzle with pieces missing.
On closer inspection, not one tree is Disney perfect. Nevertheless, the many imperfections add interest and character making my garden lovely and fascinating.
A sea of humanity reminds me of the forest of trees. From a distance, flaws are not always evident. Up close, they are obvious. Striving for perfect faces, bodies, families and careers, lives are ruined. No one can make it. Unfortunately, many succumb to the pressures and feel inferior.
Constant comparisons produce feelings of worthlessness, depression, and anger or self righteousness, pride, and superiority. None are helpful. All reject the truth.
An acceptance of each person’s uniqueness, as a gift not a burden, forms bonds instead of tearing apart. I imagine the marvelous changes if people would focus on the positive instead of the negative.

Jesus, help me see past the imperfections in myself and others. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment