Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Memories of My Mom



1 Timothy 2: 10  from The Voice  As is fitting, let good works decorate your true beauty and show that you are a woman who claims reverence for God. 

When I read that Scripture a couple of days ago, I thought it represented mother. She served others quietly and didn’t need to be in the spotlight, but her beauty showed brightly. 

She worked hard at home when I was small. My dad’s teaching salary was miniscule--$2,000 his first year. She stretched the money by having a garden, canning fruits and vegetables, hanging clothes on the line, and sewing clothes. Most of hers and mine were homemade. 

One summer I had an array of tops and shorts which matched my friend’s. Our mothers fashioned our summer attire from feed sacks. Colorful but still feed sacks. I loved them and wore them every day. 

Besides taking care of her family, she also helped friends and family often with her delicious dishes. She loved entertaining and held many holiday dinners at our house. If you went to her home, she would feed you. 

Volunteering was a part of her life. Each time we moved, she became a part of the new church and joined in the activities. 

For years, she worked in the gift shop at the St. Cloud Hospital as a pink lady. Dad joined her as a pink man. 

The church Thriftee Center became her second home as she faithfully organized and worked there. 

A blind lady in the nursing home received visits from mother for many years. My mom read to her and wrote letters for her until she could no longer dictate. 

When her health forced her to cut back at the hospital and then the Thriftee Center, she grieved not being able to help any longer. Leukemia slowed her down but didn’t stop her until the very end. 

She loved being with her family. Grandchildren and great grandchildren gave her joy. From family cruises to family dinners and ballgames, she participated until her body would no longer cooperate. 

Her sense of humor remained even as she was weak and confined to bed. After a recent visit from an Indiana cousin, she said, “ I am ready to go.”
“Go where?” I asked.

“To Indiana with Dick and Janice.”

I mouthed to the caregiver, “She was ok a few minutes ago.” Thinking she was extremely confused.

Then mother smiled. “I was just kidding.”

Even the last week when her body was shutting down, she was thinking of me.

“What do you want for dinner?” she asked.

“I will get something.” I told her.

“I’ll get up and fix it.”

It was hard reminding her that she could no longer do that. She was willing but her body wasn’t.

For 88 1/2 years, she served. In spite of her afflictions, she was strong. Even in her weakness, we were amazed at how strong she was after dad’s death. After almost 68 years of marriage, they are reunited. 

How fitting she left us on Good Friday to celebrate Easter in heaven. 

The Easter lilies symbolize the three lives, dad, Alan, and mother, taken from us this year who are now rejoicing in heaven. 


John 14: 1-4  (The Voice) Jesus: Don’t get lost in despair; believe in God, and keep on believing in Me. My Father’s home is designed to accommodate all of  you. If there were not room for everyone, I would have told you that. I am going to make arrangements for your arrival. I will be there to greet you personally and welcome you home where we will be together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment