Friday, April 25, 2014

Mysterious Gifts



Philippians 4: 19 And my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (The Voice)

Ephesians 3:20-21 Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations for ever and ever. (NIV)

White roses. Pink tulips. White and pink daisies. Alan’s wishes were coming true. 

A list of errands and duties stayed near Alan as he prepared for his death. Notify insurance company. Change names on accounts. New car and bike for me. Make sure I knew where all important papers were kept. Fresh flowers in the house. 

Though we talked about the flowers frequently and looked at some, none were bought. 

After his death, lovely flowers decorated our home. I remembered his desire so ordered a bouquet for myself when I sent some to my mother on Valentine’s Day. I scanned the calendar and picked Good Friday.

Over two months later, we made arrangements for my mom’s funeral. The long drive home alone and her death intensified my grief for Alan and dad. Losing her on Good Friday hardly seemed good at the time. 

When I walked to the front door, I noticed a green box. 

Carefully, I unpacked the delicate blooms. Red, pink, and white roses went into the vase. They smiled at me from my dining room table. God knew the perfect day for me to receive the flowers. Good Friday and the day of my mom’s death. 

As I gathered the wrappings and prepared to take them to the trash, I noticed a white card which said, “A special note for you.”

It must be blank. I sent them to myself. I opened the envelope. The words stopped my heart. I stared. Stunned.

“Enjoy the day. Alan”

He had never sent me flowers from that internet company. I had given them name, address etc. but didn’t remember writing anything more. 

Two spectacular gifts in one day. Flowers the day mother died to lighten my grief. A note reminding me that Alan continues to watch out for me. God orchestrated both miracles.


Heavenly Father, you perform miracles for your people. Thank you for knowing just what I need. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment