Friday, May 2, 2014

Grandpa in Heaven




After a frustrating day dealing with bureaucracy about mother’s death, I needed a lift. Molly always makes me forget the trials of life, and her three year old exuberance makes me laugh.

She was ready to play when I arrived at her house. Anne, Ashlyn, and Emily worked on homeschool lessons so I planned to keep Molly occupied. 

She matched letters on a geoboard and then rushed to show me M on the computer program she had been working on. Her attention jumped from one activity to another. 

“I used to throw my stuffed animals at gampa,” she stated.

“What did he do?” I asked.

She grinned. “He threw them back.”

“Grandpa was funny.”

Her penetrating blue eyes met mine. “Gampa is still funny in heaven.”

When I miss him so much, I tend to forget that he is home in heaven and doing fine. Molly doesn’t forget.

Later as we played a game, she announced. “I love gampa. I’ll still love him when I’m in heaven.” 

Her random statements caught me off guard. Though adults think children don’t grasp the extent of death, Molly seems to understand more than I do at times. Her childlike innocence  and faith help me deal with my losses. 


She misses her buddy, grandpa, but her faith lets her accept his place in heaven. She talks about him whatever she is doing. He continues to be a part of her life. I hope she never forgets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment