Saturday, May 24, 2014

Don't Forget



2 Corinthians 1: 3-4 All praise goes to God, Father of our Lord Jesus, the Anointed One. He is the Father of compassion, the God of all comfort. He consoles us as we endure the pain and hardship of life so that we may draw from His comfort and share it with others in their own struggles. The Voice

Another hard day. After over a week of multiple activities, nothing was planned. I tried to whittle down my never ending list of phone calls, signing papers, computer work, and other tasks. It was lonely with no one to talk to.

For a diversion, I took time to add yellow and purple flowers to my garden before the day became scorching. Revived, I returned to more mundane chores. 

When I went inside, I noticed it wasn’t much cooler than outside. I called the man in charge of our home warranty to see what I should do. I waited all day for someone to come. A new house should not have a broken air conditioner--especially on a holiday weekend. Alan would have handled this. 

Later when I returned a text to my cousin, Ruth, tears started. The message about her grandson’s graduation dinner, reminded me of Alan’s regret. He was sad that he would not be able to see our granddaughters graduate or get married. 

Finally, the AC repairman arrived around 7 p.m. He worked. I waited and kept peeking out the window. The side of the unit laid on the ground with a jumble of parts. My hose stretched across the mulch. 

As dusk set in, I ventured outside to see what he could tell me. I found him working on the inside unit. The problem required a new part which had to be ordered. He was trying to temporarily fix the problem. 

“I feel badly that you had to be here for so long. Especially on a Friday,” I said.

Though he was drenched, he said, “I feel badly that you were hot.”

He made the hassle of the whole situation, not quite so bad. Alan had always taken care of our repairs and was good at it. But I often feel rather helpless and unqualified.

After seeing the truck by my house for so long, my neighbor called to see if I was ok. She offered a room and help. Anne called to see if I wanted to go to their house. A couple of friends also offered a cool place to stay. At that time of night, I didn’t feel like going out. Because of the fans and repair job, I was cool all night after all.  

When I sat down to pray, immediately I heard God say, “I’ll take care of you.”

Tears returned. Why do I keep forgetting? Though I no longer have the security, companionship, and love of Alan’s presence, I am not alone. 

God surprised me. A kind repairmen showed up. Friends and family offered help. Flowers rejuvenated me. Sandhill cranes passed my window. Sunshine sparkled on the lake. Alan’s picture smiled at me. Loneliness comes, but I am not alone. 

God has blessed me and continues to comfort me. My life has changed but God hasn’t. 


Father, your presence comforts and holds me up. Though I may be sad for what is gone, you remain. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment