Friday, May 9, 2014

Laughter Instead of Tears


Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:33-34 NIV

I gathered my reading materials for my morning devotions and settled myself on the patio with my cup to tea.  Sunshine sparkled on the lake as I thought of my dad. 

When I opened my first book and looked at the date, I laughed. For several weeks, I thought Friday was May 8. I had anticipated a gloomy day. The first anniversary of my dad’s death. I had worried about being alone and sad. 

With my now often cloudy mind, I had looked at the calendar wrong and spent needless time worrying about what the day would bring. 

Yesterday there were times of sadness but just the normal grief that has become my companion. Today I can remember him and rejoice in having him for over 88 years. 

My blunder reminded me that most of what I worry about never happens. It is a useless activity that robs me of happiness.


Heavenly Father, help me remember that worry robs me of peace and contentment. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment