Monday, April 7, 2014

My Best Encourager Gone




Lamentations 3: 26, 32  It is good to wait quietly for the Eternal to make things right again... Though the Lord brings grief, He will show compassion, so great is His unfailing love. 

“I don’t know how you do it. That will touch a lot of people,” Alan often told me after he read one of my writings.

My biggest supporter left in January. The void in my life from his death felt like it would never be filled. 

A few weeks after his passing, I requested a refund for my registration at the Florida Christian Writers Conference. My loss was too fresh. I thought I could not concentrate and would only cry.

“Of course we’ll refund your money,” Eva told me. “But think about coming so we can love on you.”

Time helped. Alan’s desire for me to go changed my mind. I packed my bags and went.

What a blessing it was! Those who knew the situation, welcomed me with open arms. During morning devotions, singing, listening to speakers, watching the film “Unconditional”, or in conversation, tears flowed but didn’t linger. 

Each drop brought more kind words, prayers, and hugs. Many shared their own struggles and heart aches. 

The conference brought God’s people together to share His love through writing.Whether a best selling author, national speaker, screenwriter, photographer, or someone like me who was a first timer, all shared God’s love. 

They amazed me with their helpfulness and compassion. Prayers offered. Victories celebrated. Donations made. No one elevated themselves but encouraged others.

I came home ready to write more of Alan’s story to encourage others. Knowledge and suggestions jammed my head. Thankfulness filled my heart. I continue to look forward to God’s plan for me. 

Though my chief supporter left my side, his memory pushes me forward. Old and new encouragers support and comfort me. God provides just what I need.

Father, thank you for the people you have put in my life. Both those who have gone to You and those who are still with me. Amen  



No comments:

Post a Comment