Sunday, January 4, 2015

God Showed Up



“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9 NIV

The same room. Tears gathered with memories. Alan sat in that room a couple of years ago.  I watched. The doctor removed multiple skin cancers from Alan’s face and body. 

I waited and wondered. Was it my turn? Would my bumps be cancer again? 

When the doctor came in, I pointed out the spots.

“No, that is ok. That one is fine too. If it bothers you, I can remove that one, but it isn’t cancer.”

My relief quickly turned to concern as he said, “This one is different. I need to do a biopsy.”  

He jabbed. I remembered. 

“Who is here with you?” he asked.

“No one. My husband passed away.”

“I’m sorry. Call next week for the results of your biopsy.”

Cancer. The hated word brought fear and loneliness. I couldn’t share the news with Alan or receive his assurances. 

As I left the office, loneliness clutched me. In my car, I hugged the steering wheel and cried. No one even tapped the window to see if I was alive. Cars filled the parking lot, but not one person was around.

Years ago I learned of my cancers when I was alone too. However, the last one seemed worse. Combined with so many losses, the news ignited my imagination.

Finally, the tears stopped. Reason returned. I knew numerous family members and friends who had dealt with skin cancers. They all survived.

When I reached for my phone to turn it on, a message blinked. My cousin sent a quote from CS Lewis: “We read to know that we are not alone.”

How timely. I sent her a message about my situation and how her text comforted me. I recalled time after time when God had shown up through trials. My spirits lifted a bit. 

With extra time before meeting a friend for lunch, I passed by the first house my parents bought in Florida. Just as I drove down the street, my brother called. I gave him a description of the house and yard. 

Then I told him about my doctor’s visit. He listened and understood.

He reminded me of the house where a friend’s mother still lived around the corner from our house. I turned onto her street and saw my friend outside. Another surprise.

The timing stunned both of us. When I explained about my procedure and tears, she hugged me. 

“God brought us together,” she said.

For a few minutes, I talked with her and her mom. A special visit that revived me.

At the restaurant, an old friend and I shared our lives. My fourth miracle.

When I felt so scared and alone, God supplied four people to offer comfort, love, and support. A text, a phone call, a surprise encounter, hugs, and visits. He knew what I needed and brought it all together.

Alan’s final words, only hours before he died, continue to lift me up and remind me of God’s provision. “Do not be afraid or discouraged. The Lord is with you always.”

I know that God will supply what I need. I am reminded that He often uses His people to do that. I want to be open to His promptings so I can be part of His plan for others.


Heavenly Father, thank you for giving me what I need. Help me to be aware each day of what you want me to do. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment