Saturday, January 24, 2015

Hope in the Storms



Psalm 27: 1 The Eternal is my light against darkness and my rescue in times of trouble. So whom shall I fear? The Voice

Blustery gales whistled. Waves rose and rushed across the lake. Trees wobbled and teetered. Dark clouds hovered and masked the sun.

I pulled my plush blanket tighter to block out the cold and watched the scene unfold. A trio of dark birds twisted in the currents high above the lake. A great white egret pondered the dark water. Then he snatched breakfast with his long, slender beak.

A cardinal clicked repeatedly from a naked, swaying cypress. His color muted in the morning’s dreariness. 

Only the egret’s brilliant whiteness offered an escape from the gloom. He marched over mounds of dead leaves to reach the water. In spite of the turbulence, he stayed on task. Pencil thin legs supported his graceful body. Wind battered his feathers. He remained firm. 

A songbird’s music pierced the howling wind. Brown leaves, whipped by the wind, remained  secure as they clung to battered stems. In the midst of the storm, God revealed His lessons. 

Life batters, shakes, and destroys. There are choices. I can withdraw in agony and cry in despair. Or I can cling tightly to God, learn from the trials, and sing again. 

Some days I held on by a teeny thread, but God held tightly. When grief thrashed and bruised me, I received strength to go on. Music lifted my spirit and touched my heart. 

As I wrote my thoughts, a brief shaft of sunlight grazed the lake. The beams reminded me that God is in control during the good times and also the hard ones. Even in the storms, there are rays of hope.


Loving Father, thank you for supporting me when I felt despair. Your love guides and enfolds me through the storms. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment