Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Learning from a Child



At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure.” 
Luke 10: 21 NIV 

“Grandma, I couldn’t find baby last night,” Molly stated.

I’d slept in the trundle next to her bed but didn’t hear her in the night.

Even though stuffed animals covered her bed, she needed her baby. The heavily loved soft doll’s wrinkled, worn body gave Molly comfort.

“I was going to wake you up,” she said, “but I thought you needed rest. I found her on the floor.” 

With a tug on my heart, I answered, “I’m glad you found her.”

Molly’s nonchalant announcement about my need for rest touched me. Despite her urgent need to find baby, she willingly put her feelings aside for me. 

Most four year olds aren’t so selfless. In fact, most adults struggle to put others first too.

When I’m inclined to put my needs ahead of someone else’s, Molly’s example will remind me of Jesus’ teachings to love others as we love ourselves. 


Heavenly Father, thank you for the lessons I can learn from children. Help me to follow the instructions. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment