Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Signs of Hope

Signs of Hope
Rebecca Carpenter
March 23, 2010
Since arriving home from our long trip, my sleep had been erratic and a bad cold had sapped my energy. One cool morning, I ventured onto the patio with my fuzzy robe and a cup of hot tea.
Winter in Florida had been longer and colder than any I had experienced. Normally, in March I would be wearing shorts, working in the yard, and enjoying the warm sunshine. This year was quite different.
Before Alan and I left on our month long journey, the lawn was brown and many plants were lifeless and droopy. We had been advised to not cut back any plants until March so we left hoping that some would survive.
As I peered at the lawn from my favorite patio chair, I was pleasantly surprised. Green grass had overtaken the dead, brown blades. Tiny, bright green leaves poked out on previously barren branches. A single, white African lily peeked from green leaves. The most astonishing sight was our azaleas at the edge of the patio. Before we left, their scraggly brown leaves seemed to show very damaged plants. What a transformation they had made. Each bush was swathed in colorful blooms-bright pink, variegated pink, and muted rose. They had defied the cold to harm them and burst forth with a glorious display.
Next to them, my birthday petunia also exploded with bright, pink flowers. The entire section of garden next to my favorite spot with filled with color.
In addition to the lovely landscape, I was greeted with beautiful music from a chorus of birds. My favorite red cardinal perked at the feeder as if welcoming me home. The red bellied sapsucker tapped at the oak providing percussion for the symphony.
Spring had finally arrived. Perhaps it was more stunning and cherished because of the longer, colder winter and because I had not been feeling well. Even though the landscape still held brown leaves and dead plants, hope had returned.
When we feel that all is lost, we can remember the exquisite splendor of spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment