Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Splendor of Spring
Rebecca Carpenter
March 27, 2010
Filmy haze danced just above the lake in the early morning chill. A cloudless, blue tinged sky formed a canopy. I savored the serenity while I sipped my hot tea and snuggled in my wicker chair on the patio.
My personal zoo stretched before me. I delighted at the number of animals in my oak tree. Three squirrels played a game of hide and seek—up and down the trunk and out onto the limbs. A brilliantly colored blue jay swooped from the tree to the feeder—scaring away the smaller sparrows. They immediately returned each time he left and formed a circle as they ate. My favorite scarlet cardinal took his turn after calling his mate. He even dropped a seed into her mouth. A single red bellied sapsucker circled the tree while tapping at the trunk. One squirrel ventured to a small bush closer to the feeder. He gazed longingly at the tasty morsels but finally realized the gap was too far to jump and scampered away. A lone dove scavenged on the ground for dropped seeds. Along the shore, a great white egret tiptoed quietly with only his head showing. Splashing water startled me as I observed a large bird rising from the lake. In his talons was a very frightened fish that would soon be breakfast.
The “silent” morning was actually filled with a bird chorus. Melodic patterns echoed back and forth across the lake. Tweets, chirps, and caws joined together to produce a pleasant interlude. Punctuating the tune was the clicking of the cardinal.
Sunlight illuminated bright green trees showcasing the newness of spring. Streams of light highlighted the trunks of tall pines bordering the water.
The beauty of the morning captivated me. I was encased in a magical world of God’s magnificent creation. Each tree, flower, and bush added their own special touch to my private zoo with its exceptional wildlife. I longed to remain and seclude myself in its grandeur. However, the duties of the day called to me. I smiled knowing that the memories would be replayed in my mind. Even though I would not be able to stay, I could take a break wherever I might find myself to really enjoy the scenery. What wonderful surprises await me when I really open my eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment