Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Lesson in Patience

Water to his knees. Tiptoeing silently along the shoreline. I watched, fascinated, by his endeavors. The blue heron stretched his long neck, stared at the calm water, and then moved on. With his head erect, he gazed further out into the dark lake. With extreme patience, he waded, walked, and looked with no rush at all.
My patience was short as I urged him to catch something so I could see the flash of movement when he snatched his prey. Then I could get on with my morning devotions. He was not in a hurry but continued watchful waiting for the perfect strike. He rarely misses after his deliberate, diligent waits.
How often have I plunged into a situation before I was thoroughly prepared? There have been times when I grew impatient and moved forward when the time was not right. I have attempted to be in control when it would have been better to wait on God’s timing. The next time I become impatient or try to forge ahead even though it does not really seem right, I will remember the single, blue heron who calmly walks the shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment