Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Mistake

“Grandma, what color do blue and green make?” asked Emily.
I was trying to quickly get her into bed for her nap after returning home from the science center. I knew she was tired and required her rest.
Absentmindedly, as I covered her up, I replied, “It makes purple.”
“No, grandma, red and blue make purple,” she stated with confidence.
I could not believe my mistake and then to be corrected by a three year old! “You are right. I was not thinking.”
Emily started laughing. “Ashlyn, grandma said that blue and green make purple!!”
Both girls giggled at my silly mistake. Though humbled, I joined them in laughter.
The goof caused Emily and I to invent our own game. She sat up, repeated my mistake, and then I pushed her back down. We would both laugh, and the cycle would start over again. The girls even made up a song about grandma saying blue and green make purple. When their mom came home, my goof was instantly relayed to her.
Children can be relentless when they observe a crack in our “perfect” adult persona. Unfortunately, that trait often does not go away when childhood becomes adulthood. Perhaps it makes us seem better as we point out the mistakes and flaws in others. We might say it is for their own good, but the intensity and duration of the “helpfulness”often do not match the offense.
I will certainly not forget what I learned many years ago that red and blue produce purple. I will also think more before speaking to prevent avoidable errors and to prevent unnecessary and unwanted “helping”. Sometimes pointing out mistakes and flaws can be beneficial, but it is good to analyze the motives and methods.

No comments:

Post a Comment