Monday, May 24, 2010

My Sanctuary

My colorful garden captivated me. The mirrored lake formed a perfect backdrop for charming blooms. My eyes jumped from white African iris, lavender lily of the Nile, purple showers, yellow canas, pink petunias, and yellow portulaca. Tiny white, purple and orange blooms nestled among greenery along the shore. My expanded herb garden with tasty leaves and pleasant fragrances made me smile.
Wildlife visited my sanctuary. A female cardinal broke the silence with her chip, chip, chip. Clutching the oak’s trunk, a bright green lizard scurried to the ground. A trio of mallards hit the water with a loud splash and slowly swam out of sight.
I longed to remain in my special haven. The cool morning and comforting tranquility protected me from the noise and stress of the real world. I could grab a book, sip another cup of tea, and remain isolated for the day.
It would be tempting to hover in the corner and ignore the world. Suddenly, reality joined me. Weeds crouched near my lovely flowers. A dead limb protruded from the pine tree. From across the lake, dogs bellowed. My tea turned cold. Noisy lawn mowers growled. Engines blared from the highway. Heat rose around me.
Even if I could stay all day, my sanctuary would not remain. What at first appeared to be perfect really wasn’t. However, my quiet time prepared me for the day ahead. From prayer, Bible reading, and daily devotionals I received comfort, strength, and peace to face the trials of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment