Saturday, May 15, 2010

Am I Really Sorry?

Snuggled together on Emily’s bed, Ashlyn, Emily, and I followed their bedtime routine of reading a couple of books, listening to a Bible story, singing three songs, and praying. After the second book, my scratchy throat made me cough so I told them that I would not be able to sing. That did not go over well at all. They informed me that they wanted the songs.

“I won’t be able to sing and read the Bible story because I am losing my voice. You need to decide which you want.”

Ashlyn took the Bible and said she would read it. I thought that would be a good solution, but I was wrong.

“No, I don’t want you to!!!” Emily cried as she jumped off the bed and ran from the room.

I looked at Ashlyn for an explanation, but she seemed stunned too.

Emily raced back into the room yelling, “I won’t listen!!”

I tried to explain to her that my throat hurt and Ashlyn was trying to be nice. She did not seem to care. Then she rushed to the bed and hit Ashlyn. I was shocked by her behavior since she did not usually do that. During this time, Ashlyn remained pretty quiet and did not retaliate.

“You should not hit your sister. What should you say to her?” I asked.

With anger in her little eyes, she replied, “Nothing.”

Ashlyn looked hurt that Emily did not want her to read, and Emily was mad that Ashlyn was going to read. What a dilemma. Quietly Ashlyn handed me the Bible and said I could read it. We decided that we would share the reading so I hoped that would solve our problem.

With a girl on each side of me, I began reading about Zacchaeus. After Jesus spoke to him, he realized his mistakes and said he was sorry. He told Jesus he would repay everyone four times what he had taken from them.

On the devotional page, the first question was Have you ever been sorry for something you have done?

Emily said quietly, “Like when I hit Ashlyn?”

“Yes, like when you hit Ashlyn,” I replied with a smile thinking she had learned her lesson.

“I am sorry, but I don’t want to tell her.”

I guess she only learned part of the lesson. Her pride would not allow her to tell Ashlyn that she was sorry even though Ashlyn was listening.

It is easy to behave like Emily and know we are sorry but refuse to say it. Sometimes a relationship is strained or broken because no one will utter the healing words I am sorry.

Fortunately, Ashlyn forgave her sister so they hugged and kissed good night. If only all stories could end that happily.

No comments:

Post a Comment