Sunday, October 9, 2011

A Modern Miracle

A handful of dirt. Spit. Mixed together a paste formed. An unsanitary, filthy concoction. The strange mess covered two sightless eyes. As it fell from the unseeing eyes, shadowy forms appeared. With another application, the world opened. The touch of a gentle hand transformed darkness into light. A healing miracle of Jesus over two thousand years ago.
Surrounded by black clad technicians, strange machinery, and the overhead lights, I lay on a table staring upward and wondering what I was doing. My doctor positioned my head and began his work and commentary.
“This will hold your eye open.”
“Stare at the green light.”
“You’ll feel some pressure.”
“One is done.”
His explanations helped. Before each step, I knew what to expect. With one finished, I knew it would not be much longer. My anxiety lessened.
“We’re done. You did great.”
Slowly I rose and walked to another room where Alan waited. In less than fifteen minutes, the procedure was over.
With blurry eyes, I scanned the room. My vision was worse than before the surgery. Would it get better?
Gradually, as the drops were absorbed, I could see more clearly.
More instructions.
“Follow the directions for the drops.”
“Wear dark glasses.”
“Put the shields on at night.”
“Come back in the morning for the follow-up.”
After an initial period of discomfort, I emerged from the blurry world. White blobs across the lake turned into ducks. Our T.V. became 3-D. Leaves appeared on faraway trees. All day I marveled at the changes.
For more than fifty years, glasses and contacts had been my constant companions. Fogged lenses, unclear, and missing contacts became part of my life. Phone calls were made. At church the story was related over and over. My new gift had to be shared.
Even though no grimy paste covered my eyes, a miracle happened. Modern inventions, capable assistants, and a competent doctor worked together to restore my sight. Some people only believe in Biblical miracles, but I believe that God still performs miracles today. The process may have changed but the results can be the same. How blessed I am for the gift of sight.

Mark 8: 22-25 and John 9: 1-12.

Heavenly Father, thank you for sight and the miracles performed in your name-even now. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment