Wednesday, October 12, 2011

We Need a Bible Story

“Grandma, let’s play a game,” said Ashlyn.
“You have to brush your teeth and get your pajamas on first. It’s almost time for you to go to bed,” I answered.
After a song and prayer, little Molly snuggled down with her pacifier and baby. Then I concentrated on the two older girls. I knew the game had to be short since I tried to follow their parents’ instructions on bedtimes.
“As soon as the game’s over, you have to go to bed,” I reminded them. I knew there was a routine of reading a book, singing, reading the Bible and praying but hoped they would forgo it since time was slipping away.
Our Uno game began. Emily and I gathered a fist full of cards while Ashlyn’s decreased. Then she had to draw, and I saw that the game would not end for their 8:30 bedtime.
“After one more round, we have to stop. Whoever has the least cards will win.”
Reluctantly, they agreed. Ashlyn won.
I hurried them off to bed and reminded them it was past 8:30. They scrambled to bed. I prayed and leaned over to kiss Emily. Ashlyn had to stretch down from her top bunk for a kiss.
The clock was blinking from an electrical outage. I had to fix that. The fan had to be turned on. Finally, the light went off.
“Goodnight, girls. It’s past your bedtime,” I repeated a few times.
With the door closed, I sighed. We were only a little late.
As I walked away, I heard a voice.
I opened the door. “You aren’t supposed to call me after you go to bed.”
“But grandma, we didn’t read a Bible story,” Ashlyn said sadly.
“We played a game and now it is time for bed,” I reminded them.
Stubbornly, Emily added, “I won’t go to sleep until mommy comes home and reads a Bible story.”
Knowing Emily’s determination, I relented. She would not go to sleep which would be worse than being a few more minutes late.
Three Bibles laid on their bookshelf. My mind searched for a short story.
“Grandma, the little Bible has stories that are only two pages,” Ashlyn said.
Quickly, I found the story of Noah which was appropriate after two days of continuous rain. The girls could have recited by heart the story and questions that followed. After reading the accompanying prayer, they were satisfied.
Two more kisses and the light went out. Two happy girls and a grandma who received another sermon from her granddaughters.
If only adults were so adamant and faithful in reading the Bible each night.

No comments:

Post a Comment