Saturday, October 6, 2012

A Sacker




While watching pre-game football commentary, Alan turned to and said, “That guy in the middle was a sacker.”

Even with my limited knowledge of football, I had heard of sacking but had not heard anyone called a sacker. Something didn’t sound right.

“He’s what?” I asked.

“He used to be a sacker,” Alan replied.

My mind quickly jumped into Alan mode as I attempted to figure out what he meant.

“Do you mean bagger?”

With a smile he answered, “Yes, he used to work in a grocery store.”

“It is a bagger. Not a sacker.”

We erupted into laughter. Often I have to decipher what he means from what he says. He chooses words that are similar but not correct or ones that sound almost the same with completely different meanings. 

His inadvertent mistakes bring us constant laughter. He could be offended when I giggle at his goofs. He could clam up to prevent saying the wrong thing. But he continues talking, and we enjoy the bloopers.

Humor connects people and tickles our insides. At least for a while, burdens are lifted, and gloom lightens. Even during the darkest times, laughter acts as a healing medicine.

Dear Lord, as we journey through life, let us remember to not take ourselves too seriously and enjoy laughter. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment