Wednesday, November 21, 2012

An Attitude of Thanksgiving



A small plane hummed and crossed the clear, blue sky. Ducks gathered on the glassy lake. A pair of great white egrets and a blue heron sauntered through the shallow water. Blackbirds bellowed. Sunrise illuminated my garden. 

Thankfulness filled me. God created every part of my retreat from the short peppermint to the towering bald cypress. Silent lizards to trumpeting blue herons. Billowing gray moss to waving pink azaleas. Soft grass to rough pine cones. Each had a unique place in His world.

While enjoying my favorite sanctuary, I thought of those in Israel and Afghanistan, who have no peace. Wrapped in my warm robe and draped with blankets against the chilly morning, I remembered the homeless in woods not far away and huddled refugees in camps and caves with no warmth. 

As I prepared for an abundant Thanksgiving dinner, images of hungry children in the hills of Peru and refugee families in Ethiopia eating UN rations came to mind.

My closet full of clothes seemed extravagant compared to Haitians with no change of clothes. 

My daily Bible reading from my newest version reminded me of Christians with no Bible at all. For Christians in Sudan, it is illegal to even own one.  

The list in my head went on and on. Why was I chosen to live in a country with so many opportunities and freedoms? Why weren’t they? What will I do with my blessings? 

In spite of trials and hardships, God has always provided for me and given me hope. No matter what is going on, there is someone who is worse off. 

As our culture becomes so obsessed with sales, shopping, and getting more and more stuff, take time to be thankful for what you have. The most important things are not bought with money. 

Come offer thanks to the Eternal; invoke His holy name. Tell other people about things He has done. Sing songs of praise to Him; tell stories of all His miracles. Psalm 105:1 (The Voice)

Heavenly Father, thank you for the many blessings you have given to me. Help me to bless others as you have blessed me. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment