Saturday, December 29, 2012

Unexpected Thankfulness




“I admired your dad,” a former classmate wrote on facebook. “It wasn’t any one thing, but the way he lived. He showed he could be trusted and stood up for what he believed.”

As principal of our school, my dad often heard what people didn’t like, but forty-five years later he learned of the positive impact he had on one grateful student. 

When I reconnected with one of my former students on facebook, I also received a message of appreciation. His path of education--now headed to a Ph.D--began in elementary school. His thanks, for my hard work and dedication as his fifth grade teacher, made my day. 

We often think only grand ventures are significant. But people notice small gestures, simple words, and everyday activities when we don’t even know anyone is watching. Each day lives are affected by those around them. What a blessing to know when we have touched a life.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we all thanked someone unexpectedly for what they did for us? Everyone loves to be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment