Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Unto the Least of These




While perched on a rafter of the arena, I observed tiny creatures running around on the floor far below. On the front row of the of the balcony, I felt like a cliff hanger. The railing in front of the seats wasn’t even waist high and certainly not a deterrent to a falling body. 

My friends and I decided that the second row would seem a little safer. That position was tolerable if I looked toward the huge screens to see the speakers and not straight down. The designers of the upper level seating must have been mountain climbers who enjoyed hanging on dangerous precipices.

Fortunately, the fantastic speakers and musicians at the Women of Faith conference kept my mind off the altitude and my aversion to heights.

Because we sat on the aisle seats, each time someone came in or left during the sessions, we had to stand to let them pass which happened frequently. 

One young woman cautiously came to our row hanging onto the railing like a life line. We could see her anguish and reached out to her as she passed by. Her hand gripped ours tightly. Each time she made the journey, she plopped down into her seat with obvious relief. 

For two days, we helped her down the row by extending our hands and steadying her. During the breaks, we talked with her briefly. 

At the end of the conference, she leaned over and spoke to me. “I have severe fibromyalgia and have been in intense pain the whole weekend. I normally use a walker but couldn’t bring it because of the steps. I am also terrified of heights. Let your friends know how much your help meant to me.”

As she looked into my eyes, she continued. “ As you did this to the least of these...”

Tears came to my eyes as her words touched my heart. We had never met this young woman but our simple gestures had helped her through the weekend. Of course, she taught me many lessons with her quiet testimony.

Through her pain, she sang, laughed, and praised God. She didn’t complain but was grateful to experience the blessings of the weekend. She also overcame her fears to be there. What a testimony.

Her thankfulness for our small deeds reminded me of how much we can help others even when we aren’t fully aware of it. There are always people who need a touch of the love of Jesus. Who will it be today? 

I tell you this; whenever you saw a brother or sister hungry or cold, whatever you did to the least of these, you did to Me. Matthew 25: 40  (The Voice)

Jesus, thank you for reminding me to be aware of those around me. Lead me each day to help the least of these. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment