Wednesday, October 2, 2013

A Buggy Life



Slate clouds concealed much of the sky and prevented a colorful sunrise. The lake was a dark reflection of the distant forest. 

In the dimness of dawn, I spotted him. Six hairlike, jointed legs jutted from a cigar shaped, segmented body. Long antennas wiggled. Minuscule feet held him securely to the screen even when he hung upside-down. 

I studied the fascinating creature and was captivated by his appearance. His nearness made him appear larger and more important than anything else in my view. Up close, he looked bigger than far away trees, bushes and small clouds. My perception   was distorted even though I knew the truth. 

Other bugs enter lives every day influencing emotions and treatment of others. Being first to a parking spot overrides kindness to another driver. Preventing an obnoxious driver from merging could lead to an unnecessary accident. Hours on the computer replaces spending time with a special child. Consuming work produces lonely families. Social media substitutes for real conversations. 

The bug on my patio remained after the sun broke through the clouds. Brightness of the sky, dimmed his presence. Though interesting, he no longer was the focus of my day so I concentrated on the entire picture and not one small bug.

When situations threaten to consume me, I will try to determine if they are merely little bugs that can be ignored or if they are actually worthy of my time.

All the things the world can offer to you-the allure of pleasure, the passion to have things, and the pompous sense of superiority-do not come from the Father. These are the rotten fruits of this world. The corrupt world is already wasting away, as are its selfish desires. But the person really doing God’s will-that person will never cease to be.
1 John 2:16-17 (The Voice)

Finally, all of you, be like-minded and show sympathy, love, compassion, and humility to and for each other-not paying back evil with evil or insult with insult, but repaying the bad with a blessing. It was this you were called to do, so that you might inherit a blessing. 1 Peter 3:8-9 (The Voice)

Father, help me to overlook the minor interruptions and concentrate on what is really important so that I can show love and compassion. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment